Baker Report schlägt Abzug aus dem Irak vor

Seite 1 von 1
neuester Beitrag: 30.11.06 17:41
eröffnet am: 30.11.06 09:23 von: Kicky Anzahl Beiträge: 4
neuester Beitrag: 30.11.06 17:41 von: Kicky Leser gesamt: 552
davon Heute: 1
bewertet mit 0 Sternen

30.11.06 09:23

63917 Postings, 7641 Tage KickyBaker Report schlägt Abzug aus dem Irak vor

Der unabhängige Expertenausschuss des US-Kongresses zur Irak-Politik macht sich für einen phasenweisen Abzug der US- Kampfeinheiten bereits ab dem kommenden Jahr stark. Das Pentagon will hingegen zunächst weitere Bataillone in den Irak schicken.Die Kommission unter Leitung des früheren US-Außenministers James Baker will einen schrittweisen Abzug von bis zu 75.000 US-Soldaten aus dem Irak vorschlagen, ohne einen konkreten Zeitplan vorzugeben. Das sehe der Endbericht vor, den die zehn Mitglieder des Gremiums einstimmig abgesegnet hätten, berichtet die "New York Times" unter Berufung auf gut informierte Kreise.
Die von Baker und einem früheren Abgeordneten der Demokratischen Partei, Lee Hamilton, geführte Kommission will in ihrem Abschlussbericht demnach für einen Abzug von 15 Kampfbrigaden plädieren. Eine Brigade umfasst 3000 bis 5000 Mann. Der Kommission gehören jeweils fünf Mitglieder der Republikanischen und der Demokratischen Partei an.
Das Gremium wolle für den Abzug keinen festen Zeitplan nennen, allerdings werde indirekt das nächste Jahr als Starttermin empfohlen. In dem Bericht bleibt voraussichtlich offen, wo die abziehenden US-Soldaten stationiert werden sollen - ob in Stützpunkten in Nachbarländern des Iraks oder in ihrer Heimat USA.
Spiegelonline und http://www.nytimes.com/?welcome
The report, unanimously approved by the 10-member panel, led by James A. Baker III and Lee H. Hamilton, is to be delivered to President Bush next week. It is a compromise between distinct paths that the group has debated since March, avoiding a specific timetable, which has been opposed by Mr. Bush, but making it clear that the American troop commitment should not be open-ended. The recommendations of the group, formed at the request of members of Congress, are nonbinding.

A person who participated in the commission?s debate said that unless the government of Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki believed that Mr. Bush was under pressure to pull back troops in the near future, ?there will be zero sense of urgency to reach the political settlement that needs to be reached.?

The report recommends that Mr. Bush make it clear that he intends to start the withdrawal relatively soon, and people familiar with the debate over the final language said the implicit message was that the process should begin sometime next year.

The report leaves unstated whether the 15 combat brigades that are the bulk of American fighting forces in Iraq would be brought home, or simply pulled back to bases in Iraq or in neighboring countries. (A brigade typically consists of 3,000 to 5,000 troops.) From those bases, they would still be responsible for protecting a substantial number of American troops who would remain in Iraq, including 70,000 or more American trainers, logistics experts and members of a rapid reaction force.

As the commission wound up two and a half days of deliberation in Washington, the group said in a public statement only that a consensus had been reached and that the report would be delivered next Wednesday to President Bush, Congress and the American public. Members of the commission were warned by Mr. Baker and Mr. Hamilton not to discuss the contents of the report.

But four people involved in the debate, representing different points of view, agreed to outline its conclusions in broad terms to address what they said might otherwise be misperceptions about the findings. Some said their major concern was that the report might be too late.Even as word of the study group?s conclusions began to leak out, Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said two or three battalions of American troops were being sent to Baghdad from elsewhere in Iraq to assist in shoring up security there. Another Pentagon official said the additional troops for Baghdad would be drawn from a brigade in Mosul equipped with fast-moving, armored Stryker vehicles.

As described by the people involved in the deliberations, the bulk of the report by the Baker-Hamilton group focused on a recommendation that the United States devise a far more aggressive diplomatic initiative in the Middle East than Mr. Bush has been willing to try so far, including direct engagement with Iran and Syria. Initially, those contacts might be part of a regional conference on Iraq or broader Middle East peace issues, like the Israeli-Palestinian situation, but they would ultimately involve direct, high-level talks with Tehran and Damascus.

Mr. Bush has rejected such contacts until now, and he has also rejected withdrawal, declaring in Riga, Latvia, on Tuesday that while he will show flexibility, ?there?s one thing I?m not going to do: I?m not going to pull the troops off the battlefield before the mission is complete.?Commission members have said in recent days that they had to navigate around such declarations, or, as one said, ?We had to move the national debate from whether to stay the course to how do we start down the path out.?

Their report, as described by those familiar with the compromise, may give Republicans political cover to back away from parts of the president?s current strategy, even if Democrats claim that the report is short on specific deadlines. ...American military officials said that the forces in Iraq that were being shifted to Baghdad were to take the place of the 172nd Stryker Brigade, which is returning to its base in Alaska, and that there would be no increase in American forces in the Iraqi capital. In fact, one officer said there might be a brief decrease until the adjustments were completed.... ?Those who favor immediate withdrawal will not like it,? he said, but it also ?deviates significantly from the president?s strategy.?

The report also would offer military commanders ? and therefore the president ? great flexibility to determine the timing and phasing of the pullback of the combat brigades.  

30.11.06 09:25

61594 Postings, 6187 Tage lassmichreinSiehe auch:

http://www.ariva.de/board/244717?pnr=2939373#jump2939373

 

30.11.06 09:30
1

63917 Postings, 7641 Tage Kickyüberraschend Treffem mit Bush abgesagt

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/world/...rexy.html?ref=worldspecial
Bush und Condoleeca Rice waren schon im Flugzeug von Riga nach Ammann als sie die Neuigkeit vom irakischen Botschafter der USA per Telephon erhielten.Bush versicherte er sei nicht beleidigt
AMMAN, Jordan, Nov. 29 ? Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki of Iraq and King Abdullah II of Jordan abruptly backed out of a meeting with President Bush on Wednesday, leaving the White House scrambling to explain why a carefully planned summit meeting had suddenly been cut from two days to one...The president and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice were already aboard Air Force One, on the way to Amman from Riga, Latvia, where they had been attending a NATO summit meeting, when they received the news by telephone from the United States ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad. The White House insisted Mr. Bush was not upset and had not been snubbed.  

30.11.06 17:41

63917 Postings, 7641 Tage KickyTreffen mit Maliki

Einen Dialog mit Syrien schloss US-Präsident Bush bei einem Treffen mit dem jordanischen König Abdullah II. in Amman aus.
US-Präsident George W. Bush stellte sich bei seinem Besuch in Jordanien demonstrativ hinter den irakischen Regierungschef Nuri al-Maliki.Am Mittwoch war ein interner Bericht des US-Sicherheitsberaters Stephen Hadley bekannt geworden, in dem es hieß, die USA seien mit der Arbeit Malikis nicht zufrieden. Einem Bericht der New York Times zufolge wurden in dem Papier Zweifel daran geäußert, dass der irakische Ministerpräsident die Gewalt in seinem Land in den Griff bekommen kann.
Ganz anders Bush in Amman: ?Er ist ein starker politischer Führer?, sagte Bush nach einem Treffen mit al-Maliki in der jordanischen Hauptstadt. Der irakische Regierungschef habe sich ihm gegenüber enttäuscht darüber gezeigt, dass die Sicherheitskräfte noch nicht in der Lage seien, die Extremisten erfolgreich zu bekämpfen.Weder Bush noch al-Maliki gaben Hinweise auf eine neue Strategie gegen die Gewalt im Irak. ?Wir sind bereit für Veränderungen?, sagte Bush, ein radikaler Strategiewechsel sei jedoch nicht zu erwarten. süddeutsche.de  

   Antwort einfügen - nach oben